Team Lead - Research
As a knowledge marketplace, it is critical that we can identify experts from around the world and match them with our customers’ needs in real time. We do this by harnessing modern technologies and innovating quickly to keep our technological advantage. At the heart of our technological advantage is our data lake and search engine. These make use of ever-increasing levels of machine learning to enable us to constantly improve the quality of our service. This is where our technology team come in.
We are seeking an outstanding team leader to join our growing development team and lead our team of data scientists and researchers. You will work closely with our CTO and other leads to investigate technologies and develop solutions that drive our technical advantage further and faster. You will be responsible for a team developing algorithmic and statistical solutions for our specific applications.
You will be responsible for helping to grow the Research Engineering team when needed, providing a rare opportunity to shape your own team. You will be a key contributor to your team’s output and able to mentor and grow the capabilities of your team. You will also line manage and grow the team when needed. You will help your team to break down work and to ensure alignment with company strategies. You will be working with like-minded individuals in a fast-paced environment of a growing and ambitious company.
- Manage a team of data scientists to deliver high cadence application specific research
- Deliver significant measurable improvements in our search engine and ranking algorithms
- Define and lead the delivery of a roadmap of tightly focused, application-specific research
- Conceive, plan and prioritize data projects
- Build analytic systems and predictive models
- Experiment with new models and techniques using the most appropriate solution to create value quickly, prioritising quick wins
- Be a key contributor to our code base, leading by example
- Collaborate with Data Engineering lead for delivering the PoC to production
- Actively understand our business and data to optimise the impact of the teams work.
- Proven and credible experience as a Senior Data Scientist or lead for 5+ years
- Experience in building highly effective data science teams and recruiting and developing talent
- Experience in efficiently delivering high cadence application specific research in a commercial environment
- Solid understanding of machine learning
- Degree in Computer Science, Data Science, Mathematics or similar field
- Knowledge of data management and visualization techniques
- You will have excellent communication skills
- Knowledge of Data retrieval and NLP techniques
- An aptitude for statistical analysis and probabilistic modelling
- Good knowledge of Python and programming techniques, able to deliver high quality code
- Deploying analytical solutions on AWS or other cloud providers
- Strong organizational and leadership skills
- A business mindset, able to understand business level demands and translate them into technical solutions.