Group Financial Controller
The successful applicant will support a small, high-growth company with locations in Cambridge, UK and Houston, Texas USA as the lead member of the finance team.
Working closely with the executive team and our CFO, you'll manage all accounting functions for our company, strategising to ensure we have scalable processes in place to support our ambitious growth.
Among your specific responsibilities will be:
- Leading the financial and accounting functions of our rapidly growing group
- Supporting and managing finance colleague
- Ensuring that we maintain high standards of accuracy in our Xero accounts and payroll
- Creating and implementing scalable finance processes across the business to support our projected growth
- Revenue recognition for projects and contracts and management of invoicing and credit control
- Supporting accounting requirements for both our UK and US offices including the production of monthly management accounts
- Leading on payroll for both our UK and US employees (working closely with HR)
- Leading the production of our annual statutory accounts and project managing the audits of those accounts
- Being a business partner working with internal teams (collaborating with non-financial/financial leads) advising and supporting on accounting and finance matters.
To do this you, amongst other things, will be:
- Using Xero which is our underpinning financial system
- Working with Salesforce and Domo, especially around invoicing and report building
- Utilising tools such as Fathom for formal financial / KPI reporting
- Managing, refining and using our systems to support us as we scale, particularly around:
- The management of payments to our ever-growing network of expert consultants all over the world each month
- Creating and refining KPIs and their communication to the business
- Further automation of our back-office and integration into our platforms and supporting tools
- Budgeting, forecasting and cost management
- Working closely with the team specifically to support month-end, expenses, bookkeeping reconciliation and paying suppliers
- Supporting the CFO on the management of share options and the cap table and on filing obligations for the UK and US entities
- Providing ad hoc support on internal projects to the leadership team and other parts of the business
- 5+ years’ experience in an accounting/finance position with significant responsibility, ideally in a fast-paced environment
- ACCA, ACA or CIMA; complete or with 4 or fewer exams remaining
- Strong experience with Xero, Excel and integrated reporting tools
- It would be beneficial if you have experience of working in a startup
- Experience of international accounting and particularly useful to have US entity experience
- Comfortable using software for data extraction and analysis
- You’re a
well-organised self-starter with great attention to detail. Given how wide your responsibilities will be, it’s important that you’re able to keep track of many tasks simultaneously and prioritise effectively between them, while maintaining a high quality of work.
- You’re comfortable with both strategic and routine work. As the leading finance employee, you’ll need to be willing to take on tasks that might, in a larger organisation, be undertaken by very senior and junior employees. You should be just as comfortable preparing materials that will end up in board reports or advising management, as reviewing the general ledger, calculating month-end journals or tracking expenses.
- You'll need to be highly creative and a great problem-solver. Our company’s growing incredibly quickly and we come up against new situations all the time: you need to be innovative, quick thinking and proactive in how you create the processes necessary for us to handle them.
- You have exceptional communication skills. You’ll be constantly talking, exchanging messages, and emailing back and forth with your colleagues, senior management, and our experts, clients and suppliers – you’ll need to be able to express yourself clearly and tailor your communication appropriately to the situation.